Planning a monsoon trekking in Nepal? find the best tips and treks for planning your holiday trip in Nepal.
Monsoon is the fall season but with the clear skies after the rainfall, greenery everywhere, budget or discounted trips. The monsoon season starts from june and ends at August, sometimes there will be rainfall even during the first half month of September.
While planning a trek in monsoon season, think about its pro and cons. Many travelers will say monsoon season is worst but in Nepal, there are some places that lies in rain-shadow ares and are best for Trekking and Hiking.
You may consider Upper Mustang Trek, Nar Phu valley Trek, Annapurna Circuit Trek, Upper Dolpo Trek and Humla Limi valley Treks as the best treks during rainy season.
Monsoon in Nepal: Quick Facts
- Monsoon season usually starts from the second week of June to the first week of September.
- The average temperature during Monsoon at Kathmandu (1350m) is between 22 degrees Celsius to 30 degree Celsius. The temperature may go down as we go higher.
- During the mid of the monsoon season, average rainfall in Nepal is between 130-320mm.
- It’s not always raining. Rain often occurs at evening for a couple of hours leaving a clear, sunny weather.
- Monsoon season is also the agricultural season in Nepal, so you will have an opportunity to witness the agricultural activities and participate in an event.
- If you are botanist or nature lover, you will feel great to see the colorful surrounding. You will witness the greenery everywhere in front of you during the trek.
- Monsoon season is the off-season in Nepal, so experience an discounted adventure trip in Nepal. Nowadays, trekking in Nepal in monsoon is trending to budget travelers. Experience the great hospitality services at lower prices.
Best Treks in Nepal during Monsoon Season
Upper Mustang Trek
Upper mustang lies in the rain-shadow area of Nepal. The forbidden kingdom of Nepal, Mustang is the one of the amazing places to visit. This place receive very little rain throughout the year so this would be an ideal place for trekking in Nepal during monsoon.
The area was ruled by the last monarch of Nepal, so this is a historical place to explore. You will experience the beautiful landscape, culture and moutains during trekking. Ethnic Buddhist Tibetan people are the inhabitants of the region.
Upper Dolpo Trek
Upper dolpo is the northern western region of Nepal. Alike Upper mustang, this is the restricted area of Nepal so you need to acquire a special permit issued by Nepal Government for trekking.
You will experience an amazing landscapes, people, their culture and lifestyle during trekking to Upper dolpo. Upper dolpo also receive very little rainfall even in peak monsoon season due to presence of high Himalayas surrounding.